History

MORAWA successfully combines tradition and innovation in the distribution of print products in its long company history.

The beginnings of the company can already be found in 1877. At that time the “Buchhandlung und Zeitungsbüro Hermann Goldschmiedt GesmbH” was founded in Wollzeile in Vienna.

Morawa combines tradition and innovation in the distribution of print products in its long company history. Founded in 1877, the company, which has been always privately managed, was already dedicated to subscription sales to coffee houses, offices and private individuals by means of manual delivery.

After the takeover of the company by Dr. Emmerich Morawa in the 1920s, the business object was expanded to press wholesale and retail as well as book wholesale. Gradually the company grew through the purchase of Austrian regional wholesalers. Morawa thus combined its function as an importer with that of a distributor supplying the retail trade directly.

Morawa was one of the first companies in Austria to use an EDP machine (Hollerith) as early as in 1956, and was a pioneer to rely on state-of-the-art technology in both information processing and logistics.

In the 1960s, Morawa also joined the “Leszirkel” (subscription service). By taking over several companies, Morawa took a leading market position in this distribution channel.

Since 1877 Morawa has been operating the bookstore of the same name in the Wollzeile in the 1st district. In the 1980s the bookselling activity was expanded to the whole of Austria. Nowadays Morawa is represented throughout Austria with 18 bookstores.

In 1992 Morawa Buchauslieferung merged with Mohr and founded Mohr Morawa Buchvertrieb. In the meantime, this company has become by far Austria’s largest book distributor.

In 2007, the two press wholesalers Morawa and Mediaprint merged.

The company, now managed by the 4th generation after the eponym of Morawa, still faces the new challenges resulting from the digital revolution in the media industry. In addition to print media distribution, the company also increasingly offers its own logistics as a service for other product groups.

At the end of 2018, the company paid tribute to media change and withdrew completely from the wholesale press business. Since the beginning of 2019, the company has focused on book sales, book retailing, transport services, business subscription services and the Lesezirkel.

2017 – 140th Anniversary!

The beginnings of the company can already be found in 1877. At that time the “Buchhandlung und Zeitungsbüro Hermann Goldschmiedt GesmbH” was founded in the Wollzeile in Vienna.

Emmerich Morawa gave the company its present name four generations ago. He joined the company in 1921 and took it over from Hermann Goldschmiedt after the retirement of the latter in 1924. From then on, the Austrian, independent private company grew continuously and today employs around 1,000 people. The celebration took place during an employee event on Friday, 22.09.2017, at Allianz-Station.

MORAWA  HEADQUARTER
HACKINGER STRASSE 52     1140 VIENNA     T +43 1 910 76 -0     OFFICE@MORAWA.COM